Hero image for this day out

The Georgian House

 
The north side of Charlotte Square is Robert Adam's masterpiece of urban architecture. The Georgian House, with its elegant furnished interior, is located at 7 Charlotte Square.

The Square was conceived by Robert Adam as a paradigm of the Georgian ideal in the centre of Edinburgh. A heady vision of sweeping crescents, broad boulevards and elegant squares, the New Town of Edinburgh offered wealthy citizens in the late 18th century a means of escape from the overcrowded tenements of the Old Town.

The Georgian House was built in 1796 for John Lamont, 18th Chief of the Clan Lamont, and he lived here with his family until 1815.

The house has been magnificently restored to show a typical Edinburgh New Town House of the late 18th to early 19th century. The fine collection of period furniture, porcelain, silver and glass reflects the lifestyle and social and economic conditions of the time.

Visit the restored Nursery Rooms on the third floor.

Admission: £6.50

Opening Times: 1 March - 17 December 2017

Getting There

Nearest Station: Edinburgh Waverley

Location:
7 Charlotte Square,
Edinburgh.
EH2 4DR

Phone Number: 0131 226 3318

Website: nts.org.uk

Disabled Access

Want to visit? Get your voucher here -